There’s a lot to do this weekend, mostly on Sunday, so let’s not pussy-foot.
Saturday, December 1
- There’s a Down and Derby Roller Skating Jam at Studio B with HOT DISCO from Rok One and Eamon Harkin, plus special guest Jacques Renault. It’s $12 at the door, but FREE for you if you RSVP at this website
(click the menu). Girls and boys, it is encouraged that you bring your
prettiest roller skates, but if you don’t have them, there’s a $3
rental fee but a limited supply of skates. It starts at 10pm, at which
point there’s a one-hour open bar with Bass Ale, and then for the rest
of the hours it’s just regular.
Sunday, December 2
up? For some real estate? Or maybe for an expensive dinner? If it’s for
dinner, you should eat a big, delicious one today or tomorrow, because
it’s Chefs for a Cure,
which means that certain restaurants will be donating 10 to 15% of
their revenue to amFAR, The Foundation for AIDS Research. Those
restaurants include Buddakan, ‘inoteca, Lever House, and a bunch of
others that you can see on this website. Really, really good idea.
- Also classy is the Amateur Female Jello Wrestling at Arlene’s Grocery.
- Getting Fartsy in Bushwick: Open Spaces,
the day of curated group shows in more than 30 galleries and
alternative art spaces throughout Bushwick, is today. Starts at noon,
lasts through the night with live music a danceparty. Get your arts.
- Opera on the Tee-Vee: Symphony Space is showing La Scala’s version of Aida in HD tonight! It costs $21, or $9! La Scala is Milan’s opera house, and they filmed their Aida when it premiered in their ’06-’07 opera season. When it finished, it got a 12-minute ovation from the Italian audience. That’s a lot of clapping!
- A Prairie Home Companion‘s Garrison Keillor will be at McNally Robinson
to read from his latest Lake Wobegon novel. It’s called Pontoon, and
it’s mostly about women. It’s free, it’s at six pm! It’ll be just like
you’re sitting in your mom’s station wagon on the way home from
afterschool, staring at yourself in the side view mirror and thinking