We just got this email from a reader:
My name is Vince, a 25-year-old gay guy living in NYC. I thought I’d touch base with you about my blog, Better Than Sex. The premise of the blog is that I don’t have sex for 100 days, but for each of those days I have to find or do something that is, you guessed it, Better Than Sex. I started it a little more than a month ago as a social experiment and a way to explore the art & cultural offerings of New York City. It could be food, a play, concert, a hobby or practically anything under the Manhattan sun. Some of the fun things that I’ve done so far include going on a silent date at the Cloisters, dressing up as a soccer chick for the Pride Parade, the chocolate cube dessert at Park Avenue summer and randomly going to City Hall to be a witness to a wedding ceremony. Anyway, I thought I’d ask you for suggestions/recommendations on things/events that would be Better Than Sex (or really bad sex, at least!) that I can explore for my blog.
Well, off the top of my head:
- Volunteering makes you feel almost guiltily good about yourself. It doesn’t even have to be formal volunteer work–it could just be walking around for an afternoon looking for people who are lost or having car trouble or whatever. It feels great.
- Um, drinking outdoors. Maybe a few bottles of sparkling red or Brooklyn Brewery Summer Ale, some good cheese, and someone’s roof? And a party game, like Celebrity. Six to eight people is ideal.
- Petting and/or buying puppies.
- Momofuku pork buns ($9 for two).
- I like to paint mugs and plates at the Painted Pot. You just go in, put on your iPod, zone out and paint amazing presents for your friends. Dishwasher safe–only $10 per mug. (Plus the one-time supplies fee, which is like $7 per session I think.)