Page 6 of 10
41) Don't write boring sentences.
42) Be a human being in your submission letter—you're not applying for a job at the State Department.
43) Don't synopsize your story in your submission letter.
44) Pay attention to where you're sending stories: your Buffy fanfiction might be good, but Agrarian Poetry Review probably doesn't want it.
45) And please follow the formatting requests of the places you submit.
46) Follow up with places after a reasonable amount of time has passed. People aren’t usually jerks. Everyone forgets to respond to emails once in a while.
47) Be ruthless with yourself. Almost everything could be half as long and better for it.
48) Obsessively follow the advice of lists.
49) Recklessly ignore the advice of lists.
50) Make more lists.