click to enlarge
Here are a few things I recommend this weekend:
Saturday, December 15, 2007
- During the day, there's an Artisan Holiday Crafts Fair from noon to 8pm in Fort Greene. It's also open during the day tomorrow and all other Saturdays and Sundays until Christmas. You can even buy the rights to have your name--or the name of someone you like/LIKE like--on a new park bench. Can't get enough artisan holiday crafts, stock up for the long, sad summer.
- There's an art-and-fashion masquerade party at Shangri-La Studios, in Greenpoint, for Swoon Magazine, featuring "live interactive photo/styling booths, tarot and palm reading, acrobatics, secret chambers, performance art, and, of course, a theatrical fashion show of the alternative variety." With DJs and live music, click here for the information. It starts at 9pm, and it's $15 for all-you-would-like-to-drink. (Or buy online for $12.)
- Yeasayer, a great, smart, and fun band that you might like (listen to 2080 on their MySpace), is playing tonight at Mercury Lounge with Chairlift and High Places. At 11:30pm.
Sunday, December 16
- Sunday night is the Manhattan Chili Takedown at Plumm, where chili chefs compete for the blue ribbon. Pay $10, eat all the chili you like, vote on the best. Or pay $10 and enter, with at least two gallons of your brand. You might win (part of the) $150 in prizes! Click this to find out all the things you need to know. It's from 5 to 8pm.
- For more edible competition, there's a beer battle at Spuyten Duyvil, in Williamsburg: "Chanukah vs. Christmas: The Battle Royale of Beer," in which HE'BREW Beer, Southampton Brewing Co., and Sly Fox duke it out in your mouth. HE'BREW's latest, Jewbelation Eleven, goes up directly against those other ones. It's also from 5 to 8pm. Drink and learn.
That's it for me. Enjoy your weekend, stay warm, drink for free.