click to enlarge
Bam! and I guess Whap! and Pow! and perhaps even Blog! for it is time for The L Magazine's annual Comix Issue, featuring diaristic graphic fiction and alterna-monsters and recurring doodlings and all sorts of other fun stuff. Here:
- My Father and Grandfather, by Ben Granoff. [NB: this one made at least three different L Magazine editors laugh so hard that (metaphorical) milk came out their respective (metaphorical) noses.]
- Petrified Girlfriend, by Pat Barrett and Caitlin Martin, which we love for its detail work like the Jim Henson poster and meepmeepmeeping alarm clock.
- Vacation, by Andy Burkholder, which we don't understand at all but seems like a kind of cute-distopic Walter Mitty story maybe?
- Sad Potato, by Dunja Jankovic. This one we like because it reminds us of us.
- Heat Wave, by Nick Cacciola. Somebody plucks the still-beating heart out of a snowman (I think?) in this one.
- Liar Bird, by Lauren Barnett, is quite pithy.
- As is Robots, by Dov Torbin.
- Heart Monster, by Sophia Wiedeman, is about exactly what it says it's about.
Plus: Our own Nicolas Rapold sits down and delves into the fertile, hyperactive mind of the French filmmaker Arnaud Desplechin
, as New York braces for the arrival of his whirlwind film A Christmas Tale