Page 3 of 6
Now I'm Bitter
1. Darlings - If This Is Love
"...then I'm over it. Hearts and talks and credit cards (Is he saying credit cards there?), then I'm over it." The finest anti-Valentine's Day anthem you'll find from a Brooklyn band. And it definitely is an anthem, mind you.
2. Los Campesinos! - Romance Is Boring
The Welsh whippersnappers' use words as razor blades. They may be young, but they're certainly not jaded.
3. Big Troubles - Sad Girls
Ignore Big Troubles' lyrics, and this would be the perfect soundtrack to Brooklyn Date Night. But the dreamy feel is undercut with the whole, "Love is in the air... And if I hear the word again, I think I'll drill a hole in my head" thing.
4. Forest Fire - Fortune Teller
5. The Raveonettes - My Boyfriend's Back (The Angels cover)
The Raveonettes' jittery, teasing take on the classic makes it clear the girl in question is no longer emotionally available. Sorry, Jack.
6. The Magnetic Fields - Yeah! Oh, Yeah!
Um, retaliation, part two.
7. Ida Maria - I Like You So Much Better When You're Naked
Alternate song title: "You're Not All That Great."
8. Hunters - Deadbeat
An aggro-pumped, guitar-fueled variation on TLC's "No Scrubs," basically.
9. Joy Division - Love Will Tear Us Apart
Tortured frontman, a seared heart for two women, perhaps one of the most recognizable choruses in the past 30-some years, and it makes a great ringtone.
10. The Rural Alberta Advantage - Two Lovers
Bitterness knows no bounds as it extends into what is typically considered "polite" music. The homey folk rockers in Rural Alberta Advantage turn a cheek with talk of crushed bones. This, coming from Canadians!
11. Neutral Milk Hotel - Gardenhead/Leave Me Alone
They had to learn it from someone, though.
12. Modest Mouse - That'll Be the Day (Buddy Holly cover)
Isaac Brock can make anything sound sinister, which is actually a pretty great talent. He wipes away Holly's squeaky clean image, leaving a charred, sore lump of a heart.
13. Tripping Daisy - I Got a Girl
One for the guys.
14. Kate Nash - Foundations
And one for the girls.
Listen here on Spotify.