Page 2 of 27
How to Make an Egg Cream
1. Start with some nice, cold, Vitamin D whole milk.
2. Use as cold and as bubbly a seltzer as possible. Vintage Seltzer is ideal; it’s bottled in New York State and therefore has less time in transit.
3. People will debate this, but keep the sequence: milk and seltzer in equal parts, then chocolate syrup. I use Fox’s U-bet Chocolate Syrup.
4. Stir ingredients without breaking up the head and beating all the bubbles out. Stir underneath the head.
5. Serve immediately. There are two truths about egg creams: they don’t get any colder, and they don’t get any bubblier.
Peter Freeman, Brooklyn Farmacy
Illustration Mike Force