Shilpa Ray & Her Happy Hookers' Teenage and Torture is in stores now; the record release show is January 21 at Brooklyn Bowl.
1. LCD Soundsystem - "Get Innocuous" - Listen here
Hell, any LCD Soundsystem works because it's fast, mechanical and the lyrics are witty. Best for the Saturday rush.
2. Siouxsie and the Banshees - "Helter Skelter" - Listen here
La La La La La La La La [Ed: Impressively, this is the correct number of notes in that one guitar lick that repeats itself throughout.]
3. Rick James - "Give It To Me Baby" - Listen here
SELL SELL SELL!!
4. Ariel Pink - "Menopause Man" - Listen here
You'd be surprised at how many male customers ask the question, "Does my ass look too big in these?" You'd also be surprised at how many of their mommies still shop with them.
5. The Stooges - "Down on the Street" - Listen here
When you want to feel like a bad ass after rejecting a return.
6. CAN - "Vitamin C" - Listen here
I'll never forget the day I brought CAN into the store. We went through a heavy psych period between them and 13th Floor Elevators a few years back.
7. Dan Melchior's Broke Revue - "Smile"
Cause when your on the floor you gotta SMILE SMILE SMILE, for everyone.
8. Lisa Lisa and the Cult Jam - "Head to Toe" - Listen here
This just works.
9. Grandmaster Flash - "The Message" - Listen here
Don't push me cause I'm close to the edge. I'm tryin not to lose my head.
10. The Blue Rondos - "Little Baby" - Listen here
My boss and I went through a huge Joe Meek period, much to the distaste of the rest of the staff.
11. Magnetic Fields - "Strange Powers" - Listen here
For when your customer's an asshole.
Delta 5 - "Mind Your Own Business" - Listen here
The title says it all.