Page 2 of 10
Animal Collective — "Honeycomb"
I can't say that I understand more than, say, 15 percent of the lyrics on this song, one of two the band released so suddenly earlier this week, and there is of course a very good chance the other 85 percent is unbearably stupid, but my goodness, this just might be the most unhinged and joyous they've ever sounded. The meandering vocal melody is pure McCartney (especially in the chorus), and the accompanying electronics are bouncy and playful, boasting that dizzying quality they've mastered over the years—the one everyone's spent the better part of the past five years trying and failing to emulate. It's the sound of your night, or your life, being kicked into a different gear. Or, if not yours, then at least someone on an upcoming episode of Girls.