1. From which novel about a Brooklyn writer is the line, “To make matters worse, I was out of a job and had very little money and was self-exiled to Flatbush—like others of my countrymen, another lean and lonesome Southerner wandering amid the Kingdom of the Jews”?
A. Sophie’s Choice
B. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
C. Incredibly Fast... something, something, something
2. What was the last year the Dodgers played in Brooklyn?
C. Dodgeball is a McCarren Park institution and will never die.
3. What does the O stand for in Karen O?
4. In what year did Brooklyn change from an independent city to a borough of New York City?
5. Which indigenous people were living in Brooklyn at the start of European occupation?
A. The Portuguese
B. The Artsy Types
C. The Lenape
6. Do the Right Thing and Dave Chapelle’s Block Party were shot at opposite ends of which Bed-Stuy street?
A. Gates Avenue
B. Cred Boulevard
C. Quincy Street
7. How many trains can get you to Coney Island?
8. What basketball position is Brooklyn famous for producing?
A. Power forward
B. Assistant coach
C. Point guard
9. What is the name of the longest continuous underwater tunnel in North America?
A. Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel
B. Getting to the bathroom from the bar at Union Pool
C. Brian’s Special Tunnel
10. How many members of nine-piece Staten Island-based rap supergroup Wu-Tang Clan are actually from Brooklyn?
11. What’s the best facial-hair look currently found on the streets of Brooklyn?
A. Flying Burrito Brothers roadie, c. 1973
B. Swedish naval officer, c. 1890
C. Post-apocalyptic hobo priest, c. 2066
12. What’s the original spelling of the Dutch-named Brooklyn?
13. In what county is Brooklyn located?
A. Bloom County
B. Kings County
C. County County
14. In what year was the Brooklyn Bridge completed?
15. In which election of the last 50 years did the majority of Presidential votes from Brooklyn go to a Republican?
A. Nixon in ‘72
B. Reagan in ‘84
16. What does Brooklyn’s official motto, “Een Draght Mackt Maght” translate to?
A. One Toke Over the Line
B. In Unity There is Strength
C. Beer Before Liquor, Whatever
17. Which of these authors does not have a home in Park Slope: Jonathan Safran Foer, Jhumpa Lahiri, Jonathan Franzen, Rick Moody, Jennifer Egan, Paul Auster, Nicole Krauss, Dave Eggers.
18. How many years running is the Nathan’s Hotdog Eating Contest?
C. Too many
19. The Chicken Hut is:
A. A progressive daycare in Park Slope
B. A BBQ palace in Flatbush
C. A too-cool-for-school bicycle gang squat-loft in Bed-Stuy
20. Which famous author wrote about Brooklyn: “I live in Brooklyn. By choice. Those ignorant of its allures are entitled to wonder why.”
A. Tao Lin
B. Hubert Selby Jr.
C. Truman Capote
21. In what neighborhood was Saturday Night Fever set?
A. Bay Ridge
C. The Bay of Pigs
22. How much time per month must members of the Park Slope Food Coop work?
A. 4 hours
B. Long enough to form a quorum in order to judge you
C. 2 hours and 45 minutes
23. Where was the first Brooklyn Industries store opened?
A. Bedford Ave. and N. 8th St.
B. Broadway and Bedford Ave.
24. Which bar is affectionately known as “The Dog Bar”?
B. The Brooklyn Ale House
25. Which of these European ancestries is most represented by population: Italian, Irish, Russian, Zemblan.
26. Children under 12 are permitted at the McCarren Park Dog Run when:
A. Accompanied by an adult
B. Accompanied by a dog
C. Accompanied by a talking dog
27. Which famous folk singer’s ashes were scattered off the coast of Coney Island?
A. Tommy Pancake
B. Ani DiFranco
C. Woody Guthrie
28. On which street in Williamsburg can you get arepas, bibimbap, burritos, prawn crisps, buffalo mozzarella, vegetarian chicken wings and a haircut?
B. North 6th
C. In the mini-mall
29. In what season are the New Jersey Nets now supposedly moving to Brooklyn?
30. Which two Presidents have their likeness in sculpture on the inside of the Arch in Prospect Park?
31. What are the draught beer options at Habana Outpost?
A. Sixpoint light, Sixpoint dark.
B. Pacifico, Corona, Tecate
C. They don’t serve alcohol
32. Which famous horror writer wrote a short story about a Brooklyn neighborhood, and what hood was it?
A. H.P. Lovecraft, Red Hook
B. John Darnielle, Gowanus
C. Owen King, Williamsburg
33. Where was the residence for the Brooklyn Real World originally supposed to be?
B. The BellTel Lofts in downtown Brooklyn
34. What is the name of the current Borough president?
A. Rubem Fonseca
B. Marty Markowitz
C. Anthony Weiner
35. In what year was the pool at McCarren Park last used as a swimming pool?
C. Does slip n’ slide count?
36. To whom is Greenwood Cem-etery’s statue of Minerva waving?
A. The hopes and dreams of all who lay there.
B. The Statue of Liberty
C. Livia Soprano
37. Where in Brooklyn was most of the Battle of Brooklyn, one of the first battles of the American Revolution, fought?
A. The Roxy
B. Backstage at the McCarren Park Pool
C. Brooklyn Heights
38. Within the boundaries of which Brooklyn park is actor Montgomery Clift buried?
A. Prospect Park
B. McCarren Park
C. All of them
39. Which poet wrote “Crossing Brooklyn Ferry”?
B. Walt Whitman
C. Hart Crane
40. Which immigrant group holds its annual Independence Day Parade in Bay Ridge?
A. The Norwegians
B. The Canadians
C. The Zemblans
41. Why are there so many Bay Ridge questions in this quiz?
A. Cuz the Ridge rulz haterz!
B. Because Intern Henry lives there.
C. All of the above.
42. Which street is said to have once held the Guinness World Record for most bars?
A. The Dirty Boulevard
B. Third Avenue
C. Bedford Avenue
43. Who owns the Brooklyn Paper?
A. Bill Cosby
B. Gersh Kuntzman
C. Rupert Murdoch
44. What Williamsburg favorite used to be in the space now occupied by the Bedford Cheese Shop?
A. Clovis Press Bookstore
B. Ugly Luggage
C. VICE Magazine
45. What is the old nickname of Myrtle Avenue in Fort Greene?
A. Murder Avenue
C. Mirth Street