Page 2 of 5
The Eagle's Nest and The Eagle's Open Kitchen, 142 Eleventh Avenue: Now Cueto Project and Honey Space
Opened in 1931, the Eagle's Open Kitchen was a longshoreman's pub for decades until 1970, when a new owner turned it into one of West Chelsea's most notorious leather bars, the Eagle's Nest
. It remained there, thriving, for 30 years (it was used as a location in Cruising
), until the building's landlord wouldn't renew the Eagle's lease, and it was forced to move up to 28th Street after one last party in the all-black space
on March 3rd, 2000. Since then it's been used for several site-specific art installations, including the semi-regular Honey Space
. The gallery around the corner Cueto Project
, which recently closed, had access to part of the former Eagle's Nest space, which visitors could walk into from a doorway off of its main gallery.