FIVE BEST UNCONFIRMED THOMAS PYNCHON SIGHTINGS
1. BrooklynVegan posted a series of photos of a gap-toothed man in a sailor suit interviewing pow wow! following their streetcorner unplugged set on the first night of the Northside Festival.
2. Page Six dished about the “unidentified author” who headbutted Jack McCollough at a gala fundraiser in May.
3. On May 13th, the lit blogger Cornelius Rochambeaux posted on his site, A Conspiracy of Pollywogs, that he had, earlier that month, been watching a Mets game at a Gramercy Tavern. Leaving his seat to go to the bathroom in between the fifth and sixth innings, he found himself urinating next to a wild-haired man, possibly in his sixties, who was mumbling something that, to Rochambeaux’s ears, sounded like an account of the building of the V-2 rocket. Rochambeaux enlisted an artist friend to produce a sketch of the man from his descriptions, and posted it alongside several old photos of Pynchon. You can definitely see a resemblance.
4. If you look closely at Google’s Street View of West 80th Street, about halfway between Columbus and Amsterdam, the odd-numbered side, you can see, partly obscured by a tree, a tall figure in a gray trenchcoat. Totally Pynchon.
5. Our best friend’s sister’s boyfriend’s brother’s girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who’s going with the girl who saw Thomas Pynchon pass out at 31 Flavors last night.